The Society works with a large range of local and regional groups, sharing ideas, resources and results. While each of these groups has its own focus it also can provide you with additional information about the history and heritage of Byron Bay town and district. A list of some of these groups and their contacts is provided below.
Other historical societies and museums in the Northern Rivers:
- Brunswick Valley Historical Society mullumbimbymuseum.org.au
- Ballina Naval and Maritime Museum ballinamaritimemuseum.org.au
- Bangalow Historical Society/Museum http://www.bangalowmuseum.com/
- Alstonville Plateau Historical Society aphsmuseum.org.au
- Casino Historical Society rootsweb.ancestry.com/~auscdhs
- Clarence River Historical Society clarencehistory.org.au
- Richmond River Historical Society richhistory.org.au
- Yamba Museum and Historical Society physmuseum.org.au
- Tweed Valley Historical Society tweedhistory.org.au
- Royal Australian Historical Society rahs.org.au
Other Byron Bay groups
- Cape Byron Lighthouse byronbaylighthouse.com.au
- Arakwal Aboriginal People arakwal.com.au
- What I Miss About Byron http://voiceofbyron.com.au/know-what-i-miss-about-byron-bay/
- Byron Bay Library rtrl.nsw.gov.au
- Byron Bay Visitor Centre visitbyronbay.com.au
- Northern Rivers Rail Trail northernriversrailtrail.org.au
- Byron Shire Council byron.nsw.gov.au/publications
- Virtual Byron virtualbyron.com
- Australian Newspapers Online trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper
- Northern Star northernstar.com.au
- The Byron Shire News byronnews.com.au
- The Echo Byron Bay echo.net.au
Important published books
There have been many articles and books published covering parts of Byron Bay’s history. A few of the recent with a more comprehensive coverage include:
- “Time and Tide: a history of Byron Bay”:- by M Ryan, 1984
- “History of Byron Bay 1850-1966”:- by S J Dening; Oct 2002.
- “Byron Shire – Thematic History”:– by Brett J Stubbs; Nov 2006. Byron Shire Publications Community Based Heritage Study Volumes 1-4.
- “Byron Bay – The History, Beauty and Spirit”: – by Peter Duke; 2010.
Remember: Your history now